Monday, June 13, 2011

Mythology Mondays - There Are Some Really Strange Gods Out There


Yesterday my husband, daughter and I enjoyed an afternoon at the Omaha Summer Arts Festival so I thought I might like to tie in my Mythology Monday post with art. When I pulled up lists of gods and goddess, though, I discovered something odd. First of all, there is no god or goddess (that I could find) of the visual arts. The thing I found more interesting was the number of gods and goddesses of very strange or very specific things.

The Romans had one goddess to watch over children as they left home and another goddess to watch over them as they returned. They also had separate goddess to watch over children as they went to sleep and while they slept in their cradles. What's with these goddesses? Didn't they know that women are supposed to be able to multi-task?

Both the Greeks and the Romans had a goddess of treachery. The Romans also had Laverna, goddess of thieves, con men, and charlatans but at least they also had Poena, goddess of punishment.

Strangest Roman god award goes to Cloacina, goddess of the Roman sewer system. Seriously, what does a girl have to have done to be demoted to goddess of the sewers? The Ancient Egyptian winner is Kebechet, god of embalming liquid. Eww.


But wait! Just when I was ready to give up all hope for a god/goddess of the arts, along come the Celts with Lugh, who claimed to be the master of all of the arts and crafts. Versions of this god can be found in Ireland, France, Poland and The Netherlands. So, thanks Lugh, for all of the great talent on display in Omaha this past weekend!

12 comments:

  1. Well, all hail Lugh, then.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A goddess of the sewer system? That is very odd!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting! I love the multi-tasking comment. Sounds to me like they enjoyed creating gods for everything. I'm surprised they didn't have one for each bodily function. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sterquilinus, Roman God of Manure. Enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol - I had trouble getting past goddess of the sewer. I think they had them for everything. I find it all very interesting to read about them though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't decide which is worse - to be goddess of the sewage system or of embalming fluid. Kinda makes being an ordinary mortal very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot believe there is no goddess of visual arts but there's a goddess of the sewer system! Although, on second thought, the sewer system probably needs more help. I think Lugh is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can just picture them sitting around a table drawing straws to see who had to be the sewer goddess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post! Sounds like a terrific exhibit. If we didn't have indoor plumbing, believe me, I would definitely want to have a goddess of sewage system to pray to. Any deity can grace the arts but it takes a gal with a special flair to preside with dignity over the sewers of ancient Rome :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post Lisa!

    Since I was recently at Pompeii... I get it. The sewer/waste was a road that ran through the city. Wide enough for a car to drive down, with houses just feet off the curb. Imagine the smells - I wouldn't want to mess with the Goddess of Sewers!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting. I agree that to be the goddess of sewer systems means someone did something wrong or upset the wrong person. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete