Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sunday Salon - June 19


Happy Father's Day to all of the dads out there and all who have acted in that capacity!


Two news stories coming out of Omaha this week: the continuing flood concerns and the College World Series.  The Missouri River continues to rise, threatening cities, shutting down a long section of  Interstate 29, and devastating farmlands. In Omaha, we worry about our airport, our water supply and, gasp, the sewers backing up and flooding downtown streets and parking lots just as thousands of visitors descend upon our city. So far, so good but more water is being let out from the dam up river and we continue to get more and more rain.


The College World Series kicked off in its new home (TD Ameritrade Park) Friday night with Fan Appreciation night. It's not the same as the ballpark on the hill and there is something to be missed about the ballpark being set in a largely residential neighborhood. But the new stadium is very nice and the teams seem to like it. We're hoping to get down to a game this week.

On the reading front this week, I raced through Erica Bauermeister's Joy For Beginners (that review on Thursday) and started The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak (for a readalong) and This Republic of Suffering by Drew Gilpin (for the War Through The Generations challenge). Looking forward to discussing The Cookbook Collector (Allegra Goodman) with the Omaha Bookworms this week (my review on Tuesday). What are your reading plans for the week? Are you finding you have more or less time to read during the summer?

13 comments:

  1. Oh, my dad would be so envious! His retirement present to himself was a week-long trip to Omaha last year, and he enjoyed every minute of it. Due to unforeseen events, he was unable to go back this year, even though he had already purchased his tickets for this year's CWS. It is one of his favorite sporting events of the year, so I know he will be back! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm struggling with what to read next. I'm sitting on a big pile from BEA and I also have some to review and I am just not knowing what to read these days. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the rain ends for you soon! Looking forward to your thoughts on Joy for Beginners. I wanted to start it this weekend but ended up not reading at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sad to say this baseball fan never made it to the college world series while living in Omaha.... shocking!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see your Joy for Beginners review! And really can't wait to see what you think of The Book Thief! I don't think it lives up to the hype, but I still found it to be a good book overall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am slowly going through a book that I have to read for a tour next Monday, and am finding it like pulling teeth. It is so slow, has so many characters, and just sort of meanders all over the place. It's weird that whenever I am reading a book I don't like, I get sort of depressed and apathetic. I am excited to hear what you will have to say about Joy for Beginners!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Had I known you were reading The Book Thief for a readalong I would have tried to join you. It's hard to keep track of everything going on around the book blogs! I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the book!

    A ballpark in the residential community sounds very homey but I'm sure the new ballpark has some nice new amenities. I hope you get to a game soon! I love going to games in the summer. Brooklyn's team, the Cyclones have a stadium in Coney Island on the water which is really nice. For evening games on Fridays in the summer, fireworks are set off after the game! It's a lot of fun.

    I hope you don't have to worry about flooding and rain much longer. My hope is it stops any second. Hang in there...keeping my fingers crossed :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you don't experience any flooging!

    Oh wow, I would love to go to some of the college world series games!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Book Thief is so good. I loved it. I hope you do too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Flood flood flood flood. We got four inches of rain today and it's still raining.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm hoping that the rain stops!! Enough already!!!

    Sounds like you have some great reads on tap...looking forward to your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The weather is really strange this year. People keep saying the tsunami in Japan doesn't have anything to do with it, or that the Super Moon had nothing to do with it either but the flooding is unreal in so many place. So Cal is seeing it's first hot day today. It's been cold and gloomy up to this point. Who knows if it will stick.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear about the flooding. We had the same over here the year we moved to Sheffield (UK). It happened suddenly and we didn't know what was going on as we had no electricity for days. Fortunately we live at the top of a hill, but it was devastating for everyone in the
    valley.
    Who is hosting The Book Thief readalong?

    ReplyDelete