Wednesday, August 10, 2011

We Need To Talk About Kevin: The Movie Adaptation

Three years ago, Mari, of Bookworm With A View, read We Need To Talk About Kevin, Lionel Shriver's Orange-Prize winning eighth novel. When she finished, she put it in my hands, telling me it was a book that I had to read. She was right, although we had very different experiences with the book. I always say that reading We Need To Talk About Kevin is like peeling off a bandage. For some, the only way to get through the experience is to rip if off; for others, it needs to be peeled off slowly. Mari raced through the book. Here's what I had to say about the book at the time:
"I could never read more than about 30 pages of this book at a time because of the emotions it generates. I couldn't imagine feeling the way Eva did about Kevin from the beginning, I couldn't fathom the relationship between Franklin & Eva and trying to pin down a feeling about Kevin was difficult. The book is written with brutal honesty; Eva does not sugar coat her own behavior or emotions. This book, exploring nature versus nurture, is definitely worth the effort."
When I first read that a movie adaptation of this book was going to be released, I had mixed feelings. Done well, it would make a fascinating, horrifying movie. But would I be able to watch it?


Starring the always amazing Tilda Swinton and versatile Charles C. Reilly, the movie recently appeared at the Cannes Film Festival to rave reviews. Given the cast and the reviews, I'm certain that I'll see this movie at some point. Maybe it will be in the comfort of my own home, where I can slowly peel off the bandage, pausing the DVD whenever things get too tense. Which they will.


We Need to Talk About Kevin Bande-annonce by toutlecine

Have you read the book? Will you see the movie?

11 comments:

  1. Yes, I read the book. I was blown away (and intimidated by the vocab- but that's something else, I suppose) but the story was ... WOW. and I will see the movie. someday. I think Swinton is brilliantly cast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this and it just crumpled my soul. It was probably one of the most affecting and hard books that I have ever read and although I loved it, I don't think I will ever read it again. I will be seeing the movie at some point though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea this was been adapted for the big screen. The book was so powerful. I have a feeling I will have to see the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to see the movie at some point, but I hope it's a well done as the book. To be honest, it took me about 100 pages to really get into the book. I'm glad I stuck with it, though, because I was ultimately blown away by it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was my first introduction to this author and even though is was disturbing on so many levels it was an excellent book. I would certainly watch the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will also see the movie. For the record :).... I read the book fast because it scared me (the nature/nurture mother/son). My son was Kevin's age when I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll definitely give this one a go. One of good friends also recommends this book. Sometimes I cheat when movies come out from books and just watch those and then decide if it's worth reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just picked this novel up a while ago and hope to get to it soon. I'm sure I'll see the movie eventually but not before I read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't yet read ANYTHING by Lionel Shriver! Many of my friends have told me that I'd be blown away by We Need to Talk about Kevin ... it's on my wish list, and, yes, if the film comes to a local art house (or eventually DVD), I'll likely see it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read this book yet, but many have recommended this one. I really can't wait to read it! I'm glad to see that there's a movie adaptation coming out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This novel not only goes through Kevin's emotions and thoughts, but also through his parents. I found myself getting completely angry at Kevin's parents. Instead of realizing that they made mistakes and realizing that the entire situation was completely preventable, they instead throw have a huge pity party. It was so completely frustrating to me to read that, but the truth is, I can only imagine that a lot of parents are like that in similar situations.

    ReplyDelete