Saturday, January 7, 2012

Sunday Salon - January 8

A return to normal is on my horizon! I've accepted a new position which I'll be starting shortly and can't wait to have time to make meals, be with my family, read, blog...heck, I'm even looking forward to having time to clean again!

Of course, as everything as worked out for me in the past few months, first there had to be a hurdle to overcome. I ended up in the emergency room in the early hours of New Year's Eve and started the new year with not one but two surgeries in one week, one to have my gallbladder removed. What a terrible way to start the year but I'm looking forward to feeling better than I have in a long time! While I recover, I'm taking advantage of the time to read!

 We don't go to many movies so I finally got around to watching Water For Elephants this past weekend which I really enjoyed. I felt like the movie makers had done a fine job of recreating the setting and mood of the book and retained enough of "old" Jacob's story to make you understand why he wanted to run away with the circus again.

The weekend before we had watched both of the last two Harry Potter movies. I've only read one of the books so I can't say whether or not the movies live up to the book but we all enjoyed the movies.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was a hit with my family members who made it to the theater but the movie adaptation I'm looking forward to, We Need To Talk About Kevin, still hasn't made it here. It's one that I think I'll probably make a point to see in the theater.

Have you seen any of the movie adaptations of books that have been released recently, either in the theater or on DVD?

15 comments:

  1. What a start to the year, Lisa! I am glad you are feeling better and wish you only good health in 2012! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the surgeries! Sheesh, I hope you are feeling better now.

    I saw lots of movies over the holidays and hope to blog about them this week. Water for Elephants came close to being one of them, but something else always won out over it. But soon, maybe I'll see that one. I haven't read the book though, so I won't be able to compare at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are feeling better now.

    I don't goo to the movies often either but I did see the new Dragon Tattoo movie and although it was pretty good, the Swedish version was better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear you are on the mend... with the gallbladder AND with the work situation. whew!

    I will wait to watch 'we need to talk about Kevin'... I want to read/hear a few reactions from people who have read the book first. To be honest... I'm not sure I can sit through the story again. I had nightmares reading it.

    Over winter break I saw Young Adult, New Years Eve, and Sherlock. All movies I wouldn't normally see (if AWP wasn't here) so it was nice to get out! Have you seen YA? If not, you feel like someone just punched you in the gut as you leave the theatre, a dark/sad tale.

    I'm off to start working on the bonus room! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lisa! I hope that you have a full and speedy recovery. But many congrats on the new position. Hopefully it will be just the relief that you need.

    We don't head to the movies often now that I we have the babe but I would really like to see RinTinTin and Scott really wants to see Sherlock Holmes. Not sure who will win but I'll be happy with either.

    Still haven't seen Water for Elephants. Wasn't crazy about the book so maybe I'll like the movie better. Seems better suited for big screen.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the new job, and yikes, about the gall bladder (mines gone too).

    I also liked the movie Water for Elephants (as well as the book).

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your new position and I'm glad you're feeling better! What a way to kick of the new year huh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Urg. Hope you're feeling better and good luck with the new position!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your new position! Here's to normalcy and spending time with your family!

    Gallbladder surgery is no joke. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let's hope you got all the excitement out of your system at the beginning of the year! Get well soon and congrats on the new position!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no!! That isn't the way you want to start the year at all! I'm so sorry that you had to have surgery!! I'm thrilled that you will be able to have more time. Certainly a freeing moment, huh!! Hope you're doing better!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw feel better soon!
    I read Potter books 5-7 and the movie vs. book depends for me. The last two compared to the book I thought were quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Geez what a way to start the year. Hopefully with your gallbladder out you'll feel better - I did. Congrats on the new position too. It sounds like you'll have more time to do the things you love which is good.

    I've seen the HP movies which I loved and I have The Help on my iPad right now and should watch it soon. I haven't read the book yet and I usually like to do that first but I guess not this time.

    Have a good week Lisa and feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you are mending nicely and feeling better! Congrats on the new job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Obviously I've kicked off the new year be getting hugely behind in my blog reading, so I'm combining thoughts on several posts into one response. Sorry to hear your year started off with such a bump! But congrats on the new job - and the reading time. I totally agree that reading is sooo much more important than human interaction with those pesky co-workers!

    "The Western Lit Survival Kit" sounds amazing. I have a book called "An Incomplete Education" that sounds similar - except that it covers a variety of subjects besides books. But the same idea - gives you a "cocktail party" knowledge of important topics.

    Hope your year is going wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete