Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sunday Salon - April 22

What a sad week at our house. My poor daughter, who lives for American Idol, was crushed when her favorite, Colton Dixon, was voted off. She has totally sucked me into watching the show with her and I was disappointed to see this kid voted off since he brought so much showmanship to the show. I am wondering, however, if now that he's gone, she'll lose interest in the show. If that happens, will I as well? It would sure be nice to be able to give myself those three hours a week to read again!

I feel like I'm treading water with my reading lately. With readalongs, I'm just not getting anything finished. Thank heavens for Dewey's Readathon, which I'm sleeping off right now! Much as I'm really starting to enjoy Bleak House, I'll be glad to have that chunk of reading done. Even moving at the faster pace that I'm getting through it now, every week's reading is taking me a few hours. I'd be half way through most of a "regular" book in those hours!

Books I've recently discovered that I'm looking forward to included City of Scoundrels by Gary Krist and Hollywood Boulevard by Janyce Stefan-Cole, Unbridled Books latest release.

As for the read-a-thon, here are my answer's to the end of event meme:
  1. Which hour was most daunting for you? As always, this is always the hour I call it a night. When it becomes "daunting," it's no longer fun and if I'm not enjoying it, I'm not doing it.
  2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? I didn't read any this year, but previously I've read graphic novels during readathon that really help through those late hours. 
  3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Nope. I only wish that my hours were different. I think I could stay awake longer if I were able read for part of two nights instead of having all of my last six hours during a time I'm usually asleep and the house is so quiet.
  4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? Lots of fun sounding mini-challenges. If I wasn't cheerleading, I would have liked to participate in more of them.
  5. How many books did you read? 2. The first readathon I ever did, I got 5 books read. I feel like such a failure every time I don't read that many. Which is every time!
  6. What were the names of the books you read?
  7. Which book did you enjoy most? Ron Rash's The Cove
  8. Which did you enjoy least? I liked both of the books I read.
  9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? Don't put it off. I know people probably appreciate being cheered on during the later hours but you just might not make it to the end to get to everyone.
  10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? I'll definitely participate in the Read-a-thon again, though I might tweak my hours a bit. Next time I think I'd like to host a mini-challenge.

8 comments:

  1. Kudos on the readathon! I hope to join you guys again in October but it was just too much this time. and don't kick yourself for not finishing 5 books. That sounds like a lot to me! I've always envied the west coast start time. 5-5 sounds wonderful!

    A girl from my brother's high school is on Idol (not sure her name...but she's from McKinney) so my mom has been watching it. I swore off the show when Fantasia won (think 3rd season?). Was too annoyed to continue watching. Ha!

    Hope you're resting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think finishing up the readathon when it's no longer any fun is a good method. I wish I would have been able to participate this time around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not watched American Idol this year at all. I stopped last year when James Durbin was voted off and I boycotted this year. Even though the lead singer of my favorite band is a judge, I just can't put my support behind a show that refuses to fix a clearly broken voting system. Okay, I'm off my soapbox. I much prefer The Voice.

    I think two books is an accomplishment in a 24 hour read-a-thon. I read for a total of about 8 hours and only read about 60 pages so you did much better than me. Have you decided if you're going to join me for Spring into Horror? Remember, you don't have to participate all week. Sure would love to have you. =O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh your poor daughter. I've been watching American Idol off and on and I was surprisaed Colton was voted off, too. I guess when the numbers dwindle, everyone is fair game.

    I recently read something about City of Scoundrels that made me interested in it but I haven't heard about Hollywood Boulevard.

    I think reading 2 books during the readathon is great. 5 books the first time? wow, that's amazing!
    I am looking forward to your review of The Cove!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He got booted??? I loved him too...thought he really had great stage presence!! I'm going to have to pick up Bleak House this week..been quite the slacker! Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wasn't even aware that Dewey was going on this weekend. I really need to discover a blogging newsletter... I wonder if there is one.

    I also just realized that BEA is next month. I haven't seen much about this, my guess is that since the blogger day was acquired book bloggers are not blogging about it much. I should attend since I live so close.

    Sorry to H, I'm not watching Idol but know it's heartbreaking when a favorite gets voted off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was sad sad sad to see Colton go too! LOVED him. And like you, I'm wondering if I'll care much about the rest of the season. Maybe half heartedly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have watched Idol every season since it started but skipped this season. I prefer X Factor and the way they pick the winner, etc. I know there are some real faves this year on Idol though. My hairdresser talks about it constantly!

    ReplyDelete