Sunday, September 30, 2012

Sunday Salon - September 30


Happy last Sunday of September! I am thoroughly enjoying this fall - we've had wonderful weather, with enough cool days to break the extra blanket on the bed and pull on a sweater but also still warm enough that we are still harvesting tomatoes and cucumbers.

I'm taking great advantage of Bloggiesta this weekend, although a lot of what I've done doesn't show. I did redo my sidebars and move my challenge icons into a separate page but most of what I'm working on is to make blogging and keeping up with the blogs I follow easier.

Here's What I'm:

Listening To: Alexandra Fuller, author of Cocktails Under The Tree of Forgetfulness and Don't Let's Go To The Dogs Tonight on The Story, hosted by Dick Gordon. This one's for you, Mom!


Watching: Andrew Sean Greer in conversation with Michael Chabon on City Arts and Lectures on my computer. On t.v. this week I watched Elementary, the new Sherlock Holmes series which I quite enjoyed; The Voice, which is our favorite singing competition show by far; and football, lots of football.

Cooking: Pumpkin cake mini-cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese frosting. The cake was fine but we'll try a new recipe next time. The frosting was incredible!

Making: Not a darn thing right now but I'm looking for Christmas craft ideas for gifts and decorations to make in October.

Grateful for: my children all being in a really good place right now. School is going well, jobs are going well, and they are all very happy. I would never prevent them from venturing off to far-flung places if it were right for them, but I'm glad to have them all close.

Happy about: The Cornhusker's fantastic come-from-behind victory last night. You know, I love football as much as I love books, I really do.

Looking forward to: Watching my 24-yr-old get his "big brother" tonight. In going back to university, he's also joined a fraternity so today he'll be getting assigned his "big brother" for the rest of the school year. As funny as the idea of a 20-yr-old being his big brother is, the funniest thing is that it will likely be Mini-me's best friend who has been like a little brother to my guy for more than a decade!

This week at Lit and Life I've got reviews of Laura Hillenbrand's Unbroken and Michael Chabon's Telegraph Avenue, a post in celebration of Banned Books Week, and some names to know on Fairy Tale Fridays. I'm finishing Telegraph Avenue and The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter this week. What are you reading this week? Will you be picking up a banned book?

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes the best changes you can make to your blog are the ones that don't show. Best of luck for your remaining tasks. Your son's situation does seem ironic, but it'd be great if it really is someone he knows! No banned book for me, but I'm looking forward to reading about them this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your son's big brother moment sounds cool!! I love football too!! I cried a bit when Michigan State lost by one point yesterday afternoon....

    Looks like you've been busy with some great books. Looking forward to what you post this week. I've been wanting to do Blogiesta but never make time for it!! LOL!

    Today Marc is having his Senior photos taken...can't wait!!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasn't that a fantastic game?! What a comeback! And Bo almost smiled. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. American Psycho is apparently banned but I'm not sure I'll read it after hearing some of the chatter on twitter. Think Red Dragon will be enough for me!

    I'm sure that as a parent it must be very reassuring to know that all your kiddos are happy and in good places.

    I made a pumpkin spice bundt cake last night. I'm not sure how it would translate to cupcakes but the recipe is delicious (I did make a few spice modifications). It's a recipe from epicurious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you split this up. Sometimes I start a Sunday Salon post and have no idea what I want to say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All this pumpkin talk is making me hungry. :-D

    ReplyDelete