Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Life: It Goes On - November 6

Oh my goodness - I am chasing my tail this week playing catch up! We had such a great weekend celebrating my mom's 80th birthday. So, so many laughs, a thrilling Husker come-from-behind victory, a fantastic new-to-us museum, and a mom who was still basking in the glow late Sunday evening.

Last night it was time for a belated birthday celebration with my MOMS. This group has been friends for years, since our kids were swimming together in high school. A friend told me birthdays should be celebrated for a week - guess I took advantage of that!



Here's What I'm:

Listening To: The Kingdom of Ohio by Matthew Flaming. I must say, if it were a print book, I would have put it down. I'm not having great luck with audio books lately! Time to look for some new audio books tomorrow!

Watching: Nothing different to report on this front.

Reading: The Kitchen Daughter by Jael McHenry for the What's In A Name challenge and Fall Feasting. I'm very distracted by Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake which just arrived on my doorstep today, though.
Why, yes, that shield did used to be a sled!

Making: A Captain America costume. For my nerd who was attending the Nebraska version of ComicCon. That boy never fails to underestimate the amount of time and energy a costume will take to put together and overestimate my abilities to sew them. I must say, though, for the time and money we spent, he looked great.

Planning: On a very quiet weekend. Between birthdays, anniversary, travel and costume making, my poor house has been sadly neglected.

Grateful for: The doctors who gave my mom 21 more years than we thought she might have when she was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. She has defied the odds and astonished her doctors. Today she got the great news that her heart continues to grow stronger the older she gets!
The birthday girl and my dad toasting 80 years!

Loving: Thai jasmine rice. Thanks to Mini-him for buying us a rice steamer and our friend, Evelyn, for introducing us to jasmine rice. I'm making big batches of this to have for lunches.

Feeling: A little overwhelmed. I need a few hours of down time to regroup and put a plan together. I'm no good without a plan!

Thinking: There really need to be at least 30 hours in every day. Maybe then I'd even get enough sleep.

Looking forward to: Not much. You?

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your mom. Glad she is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last Sunday when we had that extra hour I began wishing that we could have an extra hour in every day. It makes such a difference, doesn't it? I feel like time goes so fast when I'm at home with the baby--before I know it, it's afternoon and the other kids will be home soon.

    Happy birthday to your mom! And you. I hope that you both had wonderful celebrations--it sounds like you did. And what a good mom to make your son a costume. ;) Maybe teach him how to use the sewing machine? LOL! Here's hoping that this weekend and next week are much calmer for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get the down time you need, Lisa.

    It sounds like you all had a wonderful, but busy week! Happy birthday to your mom! I am glad her heart is doing so well--such great news!

    The Captain America costume is so awesome! I wish I was so talented. I can barely sew a button back on after it falls off.

    Have a great rest of the week and enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belated birthday wishes to your mom... how wonderful to celebrate 80 years. She looks great!

    Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake was one of my favorites last year - enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete