Monday, January 13, 2014

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Published 2002 by Houghton Mifflin
Source: my copy was borrowed from a friend

Publisher's Summary: 
Pi Patel is an unusual boy. The son of a zookeeper, he has an encyclopedic knowledge of animal behavior, a fervent love of stories, and practices not only his native Hinduism, but also Christianity and Islam. When Pi is sixteen, his family emigrates from India to North America aboard a Japanese cargo ship, along with their zoo animals bound for new homes. The ship sinks. Pi finds himself alone in a lifeboat, his only companions a hyena, an orangutan, a wounded zebra, and Richard Parker, a 450-pound Bengal tiger. Soon the tiger has dispatched all but Pi, whose fear, knowledge, and cunning allow him to coexist with Richard Parker for 227 days lost at sea. When they finally reach the coast of Mexico, Richard Parker flees to the jungle, never to be seen again. The Japanese authorities who interrogate Pi refuse to believe his story and press him to tell them "the truth." After hours of coercion, Pi tells a second story, a story much less fantastical, much more conventional-but is it more true?


My Thoughts: 
I acquired this book as part of a book swap a couple of years ago but neither of us has gotten around to reading the books we borrowed. It wasn't until I finally got around to watching the movie adaptation, which I very much enjoyed, that I decided it was time to pick this one up.

When you have a good part of a book taking place on a lifeboat lost at sea with only a young boy and a tiger as passengers, there is a very real risk that the book could drag or become entirely too full of itself. Life of Pi does neither. Pi Patel is a very spiritual young man, knowledgable about animals, so his survival depends on his skill, his wits, and his incredible faith. Into this story, Mantel manages to weave amazing beauty, horrific brutality, and, unbelievably, humor. The book is slow to build and, at times, very hard to read (okay, I'll admit it, I had to skim over some parts they were just so hard to read), but it has stunning plot twists and marvelously thought provoking. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book and by how much it made me think about religion and all the ways there are to believe in God.

6 comments:

  1. So glad that you enjoyed this. I thought it was quite good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another book I read because it is on its way to being a classic. I remember it got me a bit riled up but of what exactly I don't recall. Something about the ending... and I STILL need to see the movie! Just not sure my husband is interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to see you enjoyed it. I've worried about this one being slow and dragging, and that's why I've never felt compelled to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the philosophy of choosing your own spirituality. The story wasn't my favorite but I went with the overall big idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one I just can't bring myself to read. So many people I know have loved it, too. Maybe someday. Kind of like Little Women and Gone With the Wind, I suppose. I haven't read those either and don't intend too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still haven't read this book, but I enjoyed the movie!

    ReplyDelete