Tuesday, November 10, 2015

R.I.P. X Wrapup


I had thought to watch a movie, but instead I decided to watch a few episodes of the 1960's television show Dark Shadows. It was a scary show, back in the day, but the scariest thing now is the lighting and the sound. Still, I'm almost certain I'll make time to make my way through the series.



I've been wanting to re-read Charlotte Perkins Gilman's The Yellow Wallpaper since I listened to it a few years ago. If you've never read it, and you're a woman, I highly recommend it because we've come a long way, baby! A collection of journal entries by a woman whose doctor husband has rented a country home for her recuperation from a temporary nervous condition. His treatment involves plenty of fresh air and good food but no work of any kind. She is certain some activity would benefit her but even her journaling is forbidden by her husband and must be done secretly. Essentially trapped in the nursery, the woman slowly loses her mind even as she believes that she has escaped from the confines her husband has placed on her.



Victory is mine! I managed to succeed at all three of the Perils I chose! For this one, the book I read was Julia Heaberlin's Black-Eyed Susans (my review here). This is the first time I've completed this challenge. Now I'm looking forward to next year!

1 comment:

  1. I used to love the television show, Dark Shadows. I hadn't thought of it in years though. I read The Yellow Wallpaper as a college assignment many many years ago. We have come along way, although sometimes those old beliefs and theories still rear their ugly heads. Black_Eyed Susans sure as good, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete