Sunday, March 19, 2017

Life: It Goes On - March 19

I read a book! I read a book! Also, I realized that I have two books that I finished but never reviewed so there will finally be lit on Lit and Life!

I also accomplished a ton for 40 Bags In 40 Days. I feel good about the amount of stuff I've gotten out of my house but even better that very little of it has gone in the trash. Some is being recycled, some will be resold, and quite a lot has been donated to be used by animals and people in need. I've discovered an incredible group of women (do men not declutter unless forced to do so?) who are so supportive of each other. I've learned a lot about why we collect so much "stuff" and about myself along the journey.


This Week I'm:

Listening To: Well, A Gate At The Stairs sure picked up this week. Lots of discussion about race and now a boyfriend's gone rogue in a very interesting way. Can't wait to finish it this week. Also, loving my daily mix on Spotify - discovering a lot of new artists, including The Winter Sounds.

Watching: Lots of the NCAA basketball tournament. My bracket was so busted after the two days! Also, Naturally Danny Seo. Have any of you seen this? More and more I'm thinking about ways to do things more sustainably and naturally. Yesterday I watched him make a laundry soap that I'm definitely planning on trying - cheap, healthier, and you can make it your own scent-wise.

Reading: My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante (finally!) for book club.

Making: Reuben sandwiches for St. Patricks Day - our way to do corned beef and cabbage in a way we love. We're clearly not alone in this - all of the ingredients were on sale this week so I bought enough to have them again this week. Yum! Today I'll be making a couple of pans of bread pudding, thanks to 99 cent baguette loaves, one to take to a friend along with dinner.

Planning: On hitting the basement (read "dumping ground") this week for 40 Bags. Wish me luck! Everything up to this point was just warm up.

Thinking About: Miss H's bedroom. I spent most of yesterday cleaning in there while she is away. A black trash bag plus two more grocery bags of trash and a box for donation all came out of that one bedroom! Since she moved home and into her brother's old room, she's been living with hand-me-down bedding and curtains; now that the room's in order, it's time for new girly bedding and curtains!

The Princess in her new tutu
Enjoying: Snapchat, Facebook and text updates from Miss H while she is off to Arizona for the week with friends. They have enjoyed St. Patrick's Day in a new city, some spring training baseball, and a hockey game (who knew there was a professional hockey team in Arizona?!) so far. While she's gone, I'm doing 40 Bags in her room. Ssshhh! She'll never know if I got rid of things if you don't tell her!

Feeling: Congested. Thanks for sharing the cold before you left, Miss H!

Looking forward to: Book club on Tuesday and a girls weekend trip to Missouri. Check out the adorable St. Patrick's Day outfit Miss H made for The Princess! Can't wait to see her!

Question of the week: Have you ever used homemade or natural laundry soaps? If so, your thoughts?

5 comments:

  1. Yay for 40 Bags in 40 Days! I've spent spring break helping my grandmother clean out her closets and it was exhausting though productive! My husband is a minimalist to the extreme so we don't have too much extra. I tried 40 bags at home and it got sad after awhile! That's great about reading again! It's so nice to really get back into a book after awhile where they just wouldn't stick. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for reading! I am glad you were able to get some reading time in. That's kind of how I feel about this past week. LOL I hope you are feeling better soon, Lisa. Our current congestion is from allergies, unfortunately, so it'll be awhile before we see the end of it. My daughter seems to have it the worst. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I have a cold but my throat has been bugging me. It happens sometimes when I get gluten in my system. I had those gluten free Ikea vegan balls (I know it doesn't sound good) and they are supposed to be grain free and all that but my throat has been killing me ever since. I really need to take a benadryl but work and benadryl do not mix.

    I've never made those homemade laundry soaps but people swear by them. I love Gain because of the scent so unless the homemade ones can figure out how to add that scent then nope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the need to spend some time decluttering my house again, but I just don't have time. I will again though, so it will remain at the top of my project list!

    I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh you've finally read My Brilliant Friend?!? What did you think? I have #4 on my nightstand that I'll start as soon as this migraine goes away.

    ReplyDelete